Thread: My 90 mustang GT drops RPMs and shuts down

My 90 mustang GT drops RPMs and shuts down

Can anyone help please..My 1990 mustang GT is my daily driver car and it has been running fine for a while, but the other day while driving the RPMs just started dropping and the car just shut off. I tried restarting and it would just turn over and not start. Thankfully I wasnt far from home and a buddy towed me home. The next day it started up fine. What the heck!! But, later that day the same problem happened. What is going on? is this a known issue for this year mustang? it is driving me crazy.

Sounds like spark issue, but could be fuel problem. I would recommend you get an inline spark checker light. They are maybe $7 at harbor freight. You pull off the plug and put the tester between the plug and the plug wire. When the car is warmed up and it dies, slip on the tester and check if you are getting a good spark. If it is not sparking, it could be ignition coil. also the distributor. If you still get spark, check the fuel pressure.
    I'm a guitarzan

Administrator
    In the old days the answer would be your ing coil, When it gets hot no spark, When it cools down it has spark again.

Administrator
    I also think it is a bad coil, when it's hot it stops, then when it cools off it will restart

Danny

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.